Many adults have a difficult time deciding to get braces.
On one hand they recognize the long-term benefits to health that can come with braces, and that braces can improve their smile for a lifetime.
On the other hand, from an early age on they have been aware of the stigma of braces, and they likely know that braces look even more unusual on adults.
At EK Dental Surgery, we understand both sides of this decision.
If you do decide to get adult braces, our team at EK Dental Surgery possesses the experience and skill to make sure that your treatment is a pleasant and enjoyable experience.
If you’re thinking about adult braces, you’re not alone. Use of adult braces is estimated to have increased by one-quarter from 1989 to 2008.
And braces are used by all kinds of people. Both Tom Cruise and country singer Faith Hill received orthodontic treatment at the ages of 40 and 45, respectively.
Why should an adult consider braces?
Adults don’t get braces just because they should have worn them in their teens.
In fact, in some cases, adults get them again, because the work they had on their teeth as teens was not permanent.
Others have wisdom teeth come in and push other teeth out of alignment or lose a tooth, which allows other teeth to shift.
In fact, there are reports that patients as old as 80 have been treated with braces.
Braces are different for adults
If you are considering adult braces, you need to know about two crucial differences.
First, your teeth are no longer growing, so they are more difficult to shift – you may need to wear your braces for a little longer than teens.
Also, permanent use of a retainer may be recommended. Talk to your EK Dental Surgery dentist about this.
One significant new development is Invisalign®, a nearly undetectable form of braces offered by EK Dental Surgery.
Invisalign® uses almost invisible trays to straighten your teeth, and the aligners can be removed to eat, play sports, play musical instruments, etc.
Wearing adult braces works!
While your braces may take longer, they have substantial benefits.
- Much easier teeth cleaning– Cleaning your teeth can be complicated when they are out of alignment or crowded. After orthodontic treatment, you’ll have newly-aligned teeth that make it easier to clean areas of your mouth that were once difficult to reach.
- Chewing becomes easier– One of the many adverse effects of a bad bite is the discomfort that some feel while chewing. Braces help align your bite, allowing you to comfortably enjoy eating after your braces are removed.
- Bad breath is reduced– A misaligned bite can be a cause of bad breath. Bacteria live in your mouth, including on the surfaces of your teeth. When teeth are misaligned or snaggled, it is easier for bacteria to gain purchase. Once straightened and cleaned, teeth are less likely to cause bad breath.
- Decreased enamel damage– Misaligned teeth can rub against each other, causing enamel to wear away. Reduced enamel makes your teeth vulnerable to cavities and more likely to be discoloured.
- Increased confidence– Not only do adult braces improve your smile, they can increase your confidence. In daily life, your interactions become more pleasant, and there is no fear of negative first impressions due to the alignment of your teeth.
How EK Dental Surgery can help
At EK Dental Surgery, we offer both conventional and Invisalign braces.
Conventional braces straighten teeth in several ways. They can close gaps between teeth, giving them a straighter look.
They can also give better spacing to teeth that have grown too close together, preventing a cluttered appearance.
Braces can also remedy teeth that are rotated or shifted out of their ideal position. Braces can also help patients with an uneven bite.
Last, conventional braces can help to correct jaw pains and disorders that can lead to jaw popping, chronic headaches, and pain.
Invisalign® clear braces straighten teeth faster than conventional braces, in the cases in which they work. Invisalign® braces are easier to clean compared to conventional braces.
With conventional braces, food particles can get stuck in the brackets and wires. This can cause plaque buildup and tooth decay.
Perhaps best, Invisalign aligners are removable. They can be removed when eating and drinking and can be cleaned prior to placing back in one’s mouth.
Reasons to Smile At EK Dental Surgery!
EK Dental Surgery offers a wide variety of preventative and cosmetic dental procedures for children, seniors, and everyone in between!
We are a team of dedicated dentists and staff working to provide the best care possible. At EK Dental Surgery, we can help you achieve tip-top dental health and a movie-star smile!
EK Dental Surgery is conveniently located on Springvale Road in Glen Waverley, and we offer free parking for our patients!
Special Offer For New Patients
Pay No Gap for Exam, Scale and Clean, and Fluoride Treatment for Medibank, Bupa and HCF.
We are located at 230 Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.