A knocked-out (avulsed) tooth is both a common and serious serious dental emergency, which requires immediate professional help. The chances of saving your avulsed tooth depend largely on how well you handle the first few minutes after the emergency and how efficient your dentist is.
At EK Dental Surgery, we handle all dental issues with care and urgency, more so when it comes to dental emergencies. A same-day emergency appointment is given to prioritise those with dental emergencies.
Negative Effects Of Missing Tooth
To emphasise the gravity of the situation, we have drafted a list of some of the negative effects of a missing tooth. Take a look.
- Biting and chewing difficulty
- Speech functions difficulty
- Disruption of teeth and jawbone stimulation
- Hollowed look (face caves in)
- Remaining teeth shift out of place
- Progressive bone loss
First Aid Steps
While we said that how you handle the first few minutes after the emergency is crucial in saving your tooth, the first aid steps are not enough. You need to seek the help of your dentist to remove all threats to your oral health.
First aid steps offer temporary relief. In case of a knocked out tooth, here’s what you can do:
- Pick the tooth by the crown, never touching the root.
- If it is dirty wash it with clean running water for no more than 10 seconds. Do not scrape, brush, or rub.
- If the tooth is permanent, reinsert it gently in place and let your child bite down gently on a piece of cloth.
- For a baby tooth, let your dentist handle re-implantation. Do not attempt to do it otherwise you may damage the developing permanent tooth underneath.
- Soak the tooth in milk, saline solution, or in saliva on your way to the dentist.
- See your dentist within 30 minutes of the emergency.
Treatment At EK Dental Surgery
For a re-implanted tooth, your dentist will check if it’s positioned properly. An X-ray may be taken and exercises to test your bite capacity may be performed.
In case of an incorrect re-implantation, your dentist will re-insert the tooth. A splinting technique may be used to keep the tooth in place. Other techniques may be used depending on the severity of the condition.
Tooth Replacement Options At EK Dental Surgery
If the knocked out tooth is not successfully repositioned, EK Dental Surgery has available tooth replacement options. A dental implant may be used for single tooth replacement or as an anchor for a dental bridge. A dental bridge is used for multiple missing teeth.
Your dentist will be with you every step of the way.
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment At EK Dental Surgery
Don’t put off seeing us in case of a dental emergency. Time is very important in a dental emergency. A same day emergency appointment is available to relive you of your pain as soon as possible.
Call (03) 9887 8787 or visit us at 230 Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.