If you’re missing one tooth, or many, you’ve probably looked into dental implants to replace them.
You’ve probably also noticed that dental implants are more expensive than other treatments and wondered if dental implants were the answer for your missing teeth?
At EK Dental Surgery we believe that if you’re investing in major dental restoration procedures like dental implants, it’s good to consider more than one treatment plan and quote for the cost of services.
But we also believe you have to be careful about settling on the lowest possible price.
In most cases when you’re comparison shopping, you can skip directly to the bottom line.
But when it comes to your dental health, cost should never be the deciding factor, particularly with treatments like dental implants, which are not just something to pay for but are also an investment in your future health and appearance.
This is true if you are deciding between tooth replacement treatments or if you are choosing between practices to perform your dental implants.
Implants vs. cheaper approaches
Dental implants are not the only way to replace missing teeth, and some alternatives appear cheaper.
The two main dental options are dentures and bridges – which fill in gaps in your smile. Some people even choose to do nothing, just living with their missing teeth. But the apparent differences in price can be deceiving.
- A dental bridge costs from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars, depending on the individual case. Brides usually last between 10 – 15 years. Bridges are not nearly as strong as implants, and installing them means grinding off a significant amount of tooth enamel on adjacent teeth. Additionally, bridges lead to deterioration of gums and bone.
- A full denture typically costs a few thousand dollars, which may seem economical compared to implants. But dentures are replaced every 5 – 8 years and they have ongoing expenses such as adhesives, cleaning materials, and carrying cases, which can add up over time. Even worse, dentures can lead to jawbone erosion and gum disease that leads to expensive additional, expensive treatment.
- Not replacing a missing tooth is the cheapest option, but it is also the most expensive option down the road. Missing teeth cause misalignment of other teeth, further tooth loss, gum and bone deterioration, and increased risk of plaque, cavities, infection and other issues. There is no argument for this approach.
Comparison shopping between dental practices
Here are some things to think about when comparing dental implant quotes.
The cost of dental implants varies widely depending on the patient’s needs and health. In some cases, additional treatments will be called for (such as bone grafts), which can add to the cost.
And this is a critical reason that dental implants should be your preferred options—the longer the teeth are missing, the more bone mass is lost, and the more expensive dental implants will be.
There is a misconception that replacing an entire mouthful of teeth with implants is prohibitively expensive.
In fact, there are new techniques like all-on-4 dental implants, with which separate implants for each tooth are not required. This can make full-mouth implant tooth replacement more affordable than many patients think.
If you need tooth replacement, it’s important to discuss all of your options with your Glen Waverley dentist, including dental implants. Don’t rule out dental implants because of the anticipated cost. You may find out that they are far more affordable than you think.
What about ‘bargains’?
Some dentists advertise extremely low prices for implants. As with all ‘bargains’ there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Many advertised prices are for the price of one implant, in a perfect jaw, in a convenient location in the mouth. They may not include the cost of additional treatment.
- Never allow a low price tag to compromise your good judgement. Experienced oral surgeons may charge more for implants than dentists with less expertise in this treatment.
- Finally, bargains may only be available for some kinds types of implants, and not for the procedure that is truly best for your mouth.
Schedule your consultation
The only way to receive an accurate price quote for a dental implant is to call us and drop by for consultation. After an examination, we can give you an exact cost for your case. Please call us at EK Dental Surgery, (03) 9887 8787.
Reasons To Smile At EK Dental Surgery!
EK Dental Surgery has a wide variety of preventative and cosmetic dental treatments for children, seniors, and everyone in between!
Our team of dedicated staff and dentists work to provide the best care available. At EK Dental we can help you achieve optimal dental health and a movie-star smile!