Many of us have smiles that are not as perfect as we might want them to be.
Our teeth and smiles can be marred by imperfections that we were born with or might appeared as we have led our lives.
Imperfect teeth can be caused by:
- Different sizes
- Poor colour (stains or yellowing)
- Different shapes
- Slight misalignment
At EK Dental Surgery, we have a variety of solutions to aesthetically displeasing teeth, and one of our favourite options is the dental veneer.
Veneers are a relatively inexpensive, quick, and effective way to transform the look of your teeth and smile.
So, if your smile is a bit less attractive than you might like, schedule a consultation with EK Dental Surgery and discuss our many options, including dental veneers.
To help you decide if veneers might be for you, EK Dental Surgery would like to share the following information with you!
Dental Veneers Glen Waverley for an Improved Smile
Dental veneers are hollow, thin shells of porcelain or composite material placed over the front of your teeth to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your teeth and smile or to protect the tooth that lies underneath.
Veneers come in two types, composite and porcelain.
Composite veneers are generally built onto existing teeth, layer after layer, as the patient is in the dental chair.
This means that composite dental veneers can be completed in only one visit, which keeps the cost down and reduces treatment time.
Aesthetically, on the other hand, composite veneers are generally perceived as not looking quite as attractive as porcelain veneers, and typically they do not have the same longevity.
Porcelain veneers are generally fabricated in a dental laboratory and can come very close to the translucency and lustre of a healthy natural tooth. Porcelain veneers are also durable.
Reasons to Choose Dental Veneers
There are very reasons to consider veneers as a solution for some cosmetic dental issues.
If you have yellow, discoloured, cracked, chipped, slightly misaligned or strangely shaped teeth, veneers can improve your smile, confidence, and even performance. They can also make your teeth appear brighter, and they are more stain-resistant than natural teeth.
But veneers are not “silver bullets”. While they can protect your teeth from decay by covering up the tooth surface, they can also have the opposite effect.
There are several ways teeth covered by veneers can get cavities:
- Poorly installed veneers can give a bad fit over the tooth, leaving it vulnerable to decay, as the protective enamel has been
- Veneers require good oral hygiene as well as regular trips to the dentist for check-ups.
- A patient may take medications that promote dry mouth, or they may be experiencing a suppressed immune system, leading to inflammation and infection issues in the mouth.
- Patients with weakened teeth (from decay, fractures, or extensive dental fillings), unhealthy teeth (decay or active gum disease), or those without an inadequate amount of enamel on the tooth surface are more prone to see decay.
As you might expect, the best way to avoid decay in a veneer-covered tooth is by keeping a thorough oral health regimen, seeing your dentist regularly, and complying with all post-treatment suggestions provided by your Glen Waverley dentist.
Your dentist will give you some pointers on how to take care of both the natural tooth below the veneer and the veneer itself. Most of this advice will not be new to you.
- Brush at least twice a day — 20 minutes after every meal if possible.
- Floss daily.
- Use a mouth rinse twice a day to battle bacteria.
- Cut down on acidic foods and drinks, like citrus fruits, soda, and coffee.
- Limit snacking.
- Moderate intake of sugary treats.
- Don’t smoke.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for a thorough professional cleaning.
Are you still concerned?
If you’re still unsure if you want veneers, write down your questions and concerns and bring them to EK Dental Surgery. We can help you choose your best option.
You might only be a few dentist visits away from a new smile!
Reasons to Smile at EK Dental Surgery!
Our team is composed of dedicated dentists and staff working to provide the best care possible with the most modern tools and techniques.
At EK Dental Surgery, we can help you achieve a movie-star smile and tip-top dental health.
EK Dental Surgery is conveniently located on Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.
GAP-Free Promotion for New Patients
Pay No Gap for Exam, Scale and Clean, and Fluoride Treatment for Medibank, Bupa and HCF.
We are located at 230 Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.