What is an Overbite?
Overbites happen when the upper teeth protrude over the lower teeth. Oftentimes, an overbite can appear to be a problem with crooked teeth when, in fact, the person’s teeth and jaws are not lining up correctly.
Overbites are easier to correct in children and teenagers since their jaws are still developing.
A lot of people don’t realise that they have an overbite, as they believe their condition is not serious enough to seek dental attention. This could also be because other cases of overbites are so minor to be noticeable.
What Happens If I Don’t Treat It?
Untreated overbites may lead to the following dental problems:
- Bottom front teeth may harm the gums above the top front teeth
- Speech impediments
- May cause jaw problems
- Unattractive smile
Overbite Correction Treatments
For Children and Teenagers
- Removal of baby teeth to make room for permanent teeth to grow in straight
- Growth modification device – helps to position the jaw
- Braces – move the teeth to correct the overbite as well as the jaw
- Retainers – a device used after braces that help to keep the teeth in place
- Braces – move the teeth to fix an overbite
- Teeth extraction – dentists try to avoid this procedure but will do this in very severe cases to allow the teeth to move
- Surgery – jaw problems for bone-type overbites can only be corrected with surgery for adults
Benefits of Treating Overbites
- Straighter teeth and better bite
- More attractive smile & improved facial appearance
- Healthier teeth and gums
Overbite must be fixed as soon as possible. It’s never too late to correct your bite and your smile.
For any bite problems or malocclusions, don’t hesitate to see your dentist immediately.
To know more about the causes and effects of overbite to your oral health, visit your Glen Waverley dentist today here at EK Dental Surgery.
Our top-notch orthodontics treatments offer high-quality solutions to various factors that affect your smile and the aesthetics of your teeth.
Reasons to Smile in Glen Waverley!
EK Dental Surgery offers a wide variety of preventative and cosmetic dental procedures for children, seniors, and everyone in between!
We are a team of dedicated dentists and staff working to provide the best care possible.
At EK Dental Surgery, we can help you achieve tip-top dental health and a movie-star smile!
EK Dental Surgery is conveniently located on Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.
New Patients Promotions
We are located at 230 Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.