Accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime; and your oral health is not excused from this fact.
Aside from your teeth, your mouth is also the home of your soft tissues. The soft tissues in the mouth are the gums, tongue, lips, and cheeks.
These soft tissues are just as important as your teeth in achieving good oral health. And just as your teeth, they can be subjected to dental emergencies.
At EK Dental Surgery, we handle all dental issues with care and urgency, more so when it comes to dental emergencies. A same-day emergency appointment is given to prioritise those with dental emergencies.
Common Soft tissues’ Injuries
The soft tissues are delicate and sensitive in nature. They can easily be injured during an emergency. And because they include a large number of blood vessels, they bleed easily and capaciously. This characteristic can cause panic.
The following are the common injuries of the soft tissues in the mouth:
A simple fall can lead to any of these injuries. You can even injure them while eating. But, although they bleed easily, the bleeding usually stops after a few minutes. Nevertheless, it is important to always be prepared.
First Aid Steps
The following first aid steps do not solve the problem. They merely provide temporary relief to help you manage before your trip to the dentist.
In case of a soft tissue injury, here’s what you can do:
- Rinse your mouth to remove all foreign objects that might cause an infection.
- You can use an antiseptic mouthwash or a saline solution (1/2 teaspoon of salt to eight ounces of lukewarm water).
- Control bleeding by applying pressure on the affected area. Press a clean absorbent cloth for 10 to 15 minutes. Sanitary napkin and tampons are also good absorbent materials.
- To relieve pain, hold ice over the affected area. This can also reduce swelling.
- Visit your dentist immediately.
As noted, bleeding is normal for a soft tissue injury. However, if the bleeding continues even after administering the first aid steps, it could mean a serious damage to the soft tissues.
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment At EK Dental Surgery
Don’t put off seeing us in case of a dental emergency, as time is very important in such circumstances. A same day emergency appointment is available to relieve you of your pain as soon as possible.
Call (03) 9887 8787 or visit us at 230 Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.