In the news
The Australian Dental Association (ADA) has applauded announcement by the Turnbull Government and its Health Minister, Greg Hunt, to reinstate the Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) cap to $1,000.
Don’t miss out on the Government’s $1,000 dental benefit for eligible children! The Child Dental Benefits Schedule has been extended to 2017 to help safeguard the oral health and well-being of our children. Good health habits start early, and regular dental appointments and treatments are a key part of good health.
The CDBS is a government funded dental health program that provides approximately 3 million Australian children (aged 2 – 17) with access to a benefit cap of up to $1,000 for basic dental services over a consecutive two-year period.
EK Dental Surgery is happy to support all patients who are eligible for assistance under the CDBS. If you have any questions about the CDBS, please contact us on (03) 9887 8787!
What is the Child Dental Benefits Schedule?
The program’s key features are:
- The CDBS extends a benefits schedule to children between two and seventeen years of age.
- The CDBS focuses on benefits for basic dental services including prevention and treatment (e.g. fillings and extractions) with high end and orthodontic items excluded.
- Benefits can be used in the public or private system.
- Benefit entitlement is capped at $1,000 per eligible child over a two year period.
- Benefits are available from the beginning of each two year period.
- If the complete amount of funds is spent, access to another $1,000 benefits will not occur until the new cycle.
Eligibility is determined at the beginning of each calendar year and is valid for the entire year. If you become eligible part way through a calendar year, you only get benefits under the CDBS from the date of Medicare eligibility.
A child is eligible if they are aged 2–17 years and they or their family receives any of the benefits listed below:
Your children are eligible if the child’s parent, carer, or guardian receives:
- Family Tax Benefit Part A
- Parenting Payment, or
- Double Orphan Pension
A child is eligible if they receive:
- Family Tax Benefit Part A
- Carer Payment
- Disability Support Pension
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Youth Allowance
- Financial assistance under the Veterans’ Children Education Scheme (VCES) and can’t be included as a dependent child for the purposes of Family Tax Benefit because they are 16 years or older, or
- Financial assistance under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme (MRCAETS) and can’t be included as a dependent child for the purposes of Family Tax Benefit because they are 16 years or older
You’ll get a letter to confirm the eligibility of your child for the CDBS if you’re a parent or guardian, or an approved care organization.
Older children getting payments under their own name may also receive a letter.
To ensure that all eligible children can use their CDBS entitled benefits, make sure that your details are up to date with Medicare and Centrelink.
Centrelink can be contacted on 136 150.
Medicare can be contacted by calling 132 011.
What is Covered?
The CDBS covers a range of basic dental services:
- Dental emergencies
- Cleaning, scaling, and polishing
- Tooth fillings
- Fissure sealing
- Root canal treatment
- Tooth extractions
More extensive dental treatments is not covered by the CDBS. According to the Department of Human Services, “Benefits aren’t available for orthodontic or cosmetic dental work and can’t be paid for any services provided in a hospital.”
Family Oral Health at EK Dental Surgery in Glen Waverley
If you want to keep your smile healthy and beautiful, make an appointment today! EK Dental Surgery offers a wide range of preventative and cosmetic dental procedures that will help you, your children, and your family achieve the smile of your dreams!
Pay No Gap for Examination, Scale and Clean, and Fluoride Treatment for Medibank and HCF members.
For information about Child Dental Benefits Schedule, call us on (03) 9887 8787 or book your appointment online. EK Dental Surgery is conveniently located on Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.
Child Dental Benefit Schedule
- Bulk bill for Commonwealth Child Dental Benefit Scheme for up to $1,000.
Reference Link: To access the article click here