Dental Health Week is an annual oral health campaign, and this year, it will be on 3 – 9 August.
The campaign aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing at least two times every day with a fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Cleaning between your teeth daily using floss or interdental brushes.
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting the dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive care.
Dental Health Week 2020 focuses mainly on the dangers sugar does to one’s oral health, aiming to help Australians to ‘get sugar savvy’.
This includes recommended daily sugar consumption levels, advice on checking food labels, and spells out the effect sugar has on our teeth.
Get Sugar Savvy: 3 Main Sugar Messages
This information is supported by three main sugar messages:
- Avoid consuming foods and beverages with added sugars.
- Opt for foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Look out for hidden sugars when buying foods and drinks.
How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?
The tagline draws on the concept of hidden sugars and checking food labels to make healthy choices.
Making healthy choices at the supermarket means making similar smart food and drink choices at home.
Refusing to buy an unhealthy item in the supermarket means you don’t have to continue saying ‘no’ at home.
You may think that everyone is practising good oral health, but the reality is, many Australians’ oral health is not near where it should be.
- Less than 50% of Australian adults have visited their dentist for a dental check-up in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth only once a day (or NOT AT ALL!)
- Nearly 40% of Australians never floss or clean between their teeth.
- 73% of young people are consuming too much sugar.
- 47% of adults are consuming too much sugar.
There are several different ways to access sugar information as part of Dental Health Week this year.
A visit to your trusted Glen Waverley dentist is great for one-on-one advice where your questions can be answered.
Reasons to Smile in Glen Waverley!
EK Dental Surgery offers a wide variety of preventative and cosmetic dental procedures for children, seniors, and everyone in between!
We are a team of dedicated dentists and staff working to provide the best care possible.
At EK Dental Surgery, we can help you achieve tip-top dental health and a movie-star smile!
EK Dental Surgery is conveniently located on Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.
New Patients Promotions
We are located at 230 Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.