At EK Dental Surgery we don’t like saying the words, “That tooth has got to come out,” but sometimes we have to.
And in some cases, patients come to us already missing a tooth. In cases like this dental implants should be considered as an option to replace a failing or missing tooth.
Dental implants are surgically implanted artificial teeth placed in the bone where the natural tooth originally was. An implant typically consists of a titanium alloy screw in place of a tooth root, with a dental crown placed on top to complete the procedure.
Together the screw and crown form a complete, permanent replacement tooth with almost the exact characteristics of a natural tooth.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Next best thing to healthy, natural teeth. Strong and stable, a dental implant recreates a lost tooth so that it looks, feels, fits and functions like a natural tooth.
- Built to last. Dental implants can last a lifetime. Dental bridges often last more than 10 years, but at some point they may need to be replaced.
- Enjoy life without worrying about your teeth! Dental implants look, feel, and function like natural teeth.
- Retain your natural face shape, and smile. A face without teeth can sag and appear sunken and sad. Dental implants allow you to maintain the natural shape of your face and smile.
- Protect healthy bone. Empty space in your mouth can lead to additional health issues, such as the loss and deterioration of some of your jawbone. Dental implants actually stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
- Speak easy. Dental implants function like natural teeth. You do not need to ‘adjust’ to them, and they do not get in the way of natural speaking.
- Eat your favorite foods! You can bite naturally, eat almost anything you want.
- Protect your healthy teeth. Unlike bridges or dentures, dental implants go in the jawbone without impacting healthy teeth. They also keep adjacent teeth in position.
Why EK Dental for your Dental Implants?
First, EK Dental always tries to save your natural teeth if possible!
In those cases where it is not possible or advisable, we help you determine if dental implants should be the next step.
The first step is to ensure you are a good candidate through an all-inclusive visual examination, x-rays, and it is even possible we will suggest iCat 3D imaging.
Once we determine that you have the bone density and periodontal health needed for a successful procedure, we can proceed.
If sufficient bone density or periodontal health is not present, implants might still be possible through increasing bone mass with bone grafts and gum tissue with periodontal grafts.
At EK Dental we can perform bone and periodontal grafts at our office. These grafts do add time to the process as gums and bone must heal before implantation.
Installing dental implants requires precision drilling of preliminary “tap holes” that will prepare the bone for implantation. These holes need to be drilled at precise angles.
The drills must have regulated speed control to prevent any overheating of the bone. If overheating occurs, the cells that are required for osseointegration (bone-bonding) with the implant will be damaged, and the implant may be rejected by the bone.
In some cases, it is possible to do an implant rapidly, a quickly as one visit. EK Dental Surgery, however, prefers to take our time, as we want to ensure that osseointegration happens without complications. Accelerating this procedure is not our preferred choice, but we always try to accommodate the specific needs of our patients on a case-by-case basis.
Modern Implant Dentistry at EK Dental in Glen Waverley
Here at EK Dental Surgery we use the most modern technology available and employ the latest techniques when it comes to dental implants and aesthetic improvements. You will get the best care and the safest treatment possible.
EK Dental Surgery is conveniently located on Springvale Road in Glen Waverley.
Our Special Offers
At EK Dental Surgery, our goal is to make quality dental care affordable. To discover more, visit our special offers page today!
Book your appointment online or call your Glen Waverley dentist on (03) 9887 8787 today.